Normandy Park City Council to interview 5 City Manager candidates May 18
by Jack Mayne
The Normandy Park City Council will interview five candidates for its vacant city manager’s job at city hall on Saturday, May 18 following a public candidates reception on Friday evening, May 17 in the City Council chambers.
While citizens can interact with the candidates on Friday evening, the Saturday interviews, May 18, citizens are invited to watch as the City Council interviews each of the candidates, from 1:30 p.m. to approximately 5 p.m. There will not be a chance for citizens to ask questions.
The city had originally slated a public meeting of four candidates on April 26 but that meeting was cancelled when two of the four candidates said they would not be candidates because the cities they were working for as interim city managers hired them for the permanent job after hearing they were on the Normandy Park potential hire list, said Mayor Clarke Brant.
The city then conferred with its search firm and determined there were three more names of people who had the qualifications the city had specified so they were added to the council interview list, said Brant.
The five candidates are:
- Glenn Akramoff, who has been public works director of Covington since 2007. Prior to that he was Covington’s operations and maintenance manager for a year and a half.
- Kamuron Gurol, currently the assistant city manager and director of community development for the City of Sammamish, a job he has held since 2005. He was a corridor planning manager with the Washington Department of Transportation in 2004 to 2005.
- Micah Maxwell, now the town manager of Belleaire, Fla., said to be the most densely populated county, Pinellas County. He has been town manager since 2006 and with that city since 2004.
- Thomas S. Reber, who has been general manager of Carlyon Beach Homeowners Association in Olympia since 2009 and public works director of Algona for three years prior to the homeowner’s association position.
- Michael W. Sauerwein, assistant city manager and director of administrative services for the city of Sammamish since May 2004. He was city manager of the small city of Sheridan, Ore., from 1993 to 2004.
Link to resumes are on the Normandy Park city homepage under City News and Announcements: 2013 City Manager Search Reception & Public Meeting Interviews. The City Hall is at 801 SW 174th Street.