The National Weather Service issued an updated, ALL CAPS “Winter Storm Watch” Thursday morning (Dec. 19), warning of 1 to 5-inches of snow starting Thursday evening.
So…Friday will likely be a Snow Day – a nice early start to winter break – but don’t expect a White Christmas, as rain will soon wash whatever white stuff sticks starting late Friday morning.
“The chances of snow on Friday morning are now very high,” said Meteorologist Cliff Mass on his Weather Blog. “You want to see the totals of all this? Prepare yourselves. Mountains are hammered with over a foot. Seattle ends up with 2-4 inches, with even more in north King County and Snohomish County. Less snow south of Tacoma and over Port Angeles.”
The City of Normandy Park’s Snow Route map can be accessed here (PDF file).
Here’s the updated watch:
URGENT – WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA
410 AM PST THU DEC 19 2013
OVERVIEW…A FRONT IS EXPECTED TO BRING SNOW TO THE LOWLANDS LATER TONIGHT AND FRIDAY MORNING. SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIIONS POSSIBLE FROM ABOUT TACOMA NORTHWARD. SNOW WILL CHANGE TO RAIN BY
…WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON…
* HAZARD TYPE…SNOW.
* SOME AFFECTED LOCATIONS…THE INTERIOR LOWLANDS FROM ABOUT TACOMA NORTHWARD.
* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS…1 TO 5 INCHES POSSIBLE.
* TIMING…THE BEST CHANCE FOR ACCUMULATING SNOW IS EARLY FRIDAY MORNING…STARTING A LITTLE BEFORE SUNRISE.
* IMPACTS…TRAVEL MAY BECOME HAZARDOUS DUE TO SLIPPERY ROADS…ESPECIALLY DURING THE MORNING COMMUTE.
A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE WINTER WEATHER. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL IN THE WATCH AREA…CARRY AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT…FOOD…WATER…AND BLANKETS IN CASE OF EMERGENCY.
Here’s the most recent 7-day forecast:
- Today: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. Calm wind.
- Tonight: Snow, mainly after 10pm. Low around 31. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
- Friday: Snow before 10am, then rain. High near 44. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 17 to 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
- Friday Night: Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 41. South wind 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
- Saturday: A 30 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 47. South southeast wind 5 to 7 mph.
- Saturday Night: A 50 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 43.
- Sunday: Rain likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 49. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
- Sunday Night: A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 44.
- Monday: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48.
- Monday Night: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39.
- Tuesday: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 47.
- Tuesday Night: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38.
- Christmas Day: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48.