UPDATE: UPS Store in Normandy Park closes unexpectedly

GlorianaUPSStoreNP2

UPDATE Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2014: Mail was being handed out to customers at The UPS Store in Normandy Park on Tuesday by Gloriana Morine, who hopes to take over this facility once the dust settles on the current owners’ sudden and unexpected closing.

Morine was on hand, along with UPS Store representative Steve Delehoy Tuesday afternoon.

“Tell people not to panic,” she told us. “I hope to take this store over and I promise we’ll have much better customer service.”

PREVIOUSLY:

The UPS Store located in the Manhattan Village Shopping Center (17837 1st Ave South) in Normandy Park was closed suddenly – and without warning – Monday morning, Feb. 24, leaving numerous customers unhappy that they couldn’t access their P.O. Boxes or other services.

The doors were locked, the windows had been covered in paper, and signs were posted on the door alerting customers to the closure.

960c771e9da911e3891b12c6359a3671_8

b76c90569da911e38ded120785fa0495_8

But it was such a sudden closure that even the landlord of the property couldn’t get inside.

“The owner changed the locks yesterday,” property owner Steve Nordby told us. “But she was a challenging tenant for a long long time, so I’m not disappointed she left.”

Nordby referred to the owner as “absentee,” mentioning that she spent several months a year in Phoenix, AZ.

He also said she was continually 3-4 months behind on her rent.

“I’m excited that someone else may soon be taking this store over,” Nordby added.

UPS Store District Consultant Steve Delehoy was also on site, answering questions as best he could.

Signage posted on the door read:

“We sincerely regret the inconvenience that this has caused you and encourage you to continue doing business with the other The UPS Store locations in the area. For all other questions, please contact Steve Delahoy, District Consultant, 206 718 4029.

For mail receiving customers who have not been in contact with the Center or have not made other arrangements, arrangements are being made to either hold your mail for pick up at the local Post Office or forward to one of the centers listed above. We will provide this information as soon as possible.”

We understand that the owner of this store may have also suddenly closed her other branch in Redondo.

Comments

11 Responses to “UPDATE: UPS Store in Normandy Park closes unexpectedly”
  1. Jonathan says:

This is a huge community fail. From the employees to the landlord, someone had to see this coming and to leave the community in the dark is not acceptable!

• Gloriana Morine says:

I understand your frustration completely. It didn’t have to happen this way – but I can assure you know one knew this was coming. I just want everyone to know as we manage the facility in the interim we are working hard to prove we want to keep your business in hopes for the long term. We are taking care of mailbox holders, distributing mail and packages and doing the best we can to serve you under difficult circumstances. Please stop by and visit, so I can meet you and we can discuss any concerns in person. – Gloriana

2. Melanie says:

As a long time mail box holder at the Redondo UPS store I was very dismayed as I went to pick up my mail to find the same posting on the door. Where is my mail and packages that were in my mail box??? Very upsetting!!!

• Gloriana says:

I do apologize for this disruption at Redondo. Obtaining access to this location has been more difficult with obstacles with the Landlord and USPS. We are hoping to have this resolved in the next day or so. In the meantime, I have one of employees from the Lakewood Store on site to distribute mail/packages we obtained from the previous owner. Gina will be on sight from 9-5, please stop by and visit here. I appreciate your patience in advance.

3. Laurie says:

We’ve had a box at the Normandy Park location for 10 years. Had I not seen your blog yesterday before going home, I wouldn’t have known anything about this until I stopped to get my mail. It is so frustrating because if you have a box at one of these stores, the post office won’t allow you to do a change of address. I now have to change the address for a every single thing I have delivered here. We also paid for a year on our box so they owe us for the rest of the year. So unhappy with UPS right now. Ultimately, they are responsible for their stores even if they are franchises (something I was not aware of until now).

• Gloriana Morine says:

Laurie,
      We really wish you hadn’t moved your mailbox as we kept the disruption of mail service to one day. We also would have been happy to honor your mailbox lease that you recently paid (that the previous owner pocketed).Considering the option, (not being able to serve customers at all), we feel we are doing the right thing by the Normandy Park mailbox customers. Keep in mind, the previous owner is responsible for these actions. We are just here to ease your anxiety, rectify the situation (which we have as I promised – taking possession of the mail and distribution of packages) in hopes to earn your business as the new owner of the store (assuming it all comes to fruition – takes a little time and it’s day two!) but at least we are here and are committed to seeing this through!

4. ups customer says:

There’s someone there Tuesday handing out mail.
    The door notices have changed as well.
    Please disregard the note about holding mail at the Post Office. I talked to them, and they won’t help you.
    The rumor is that a new owner will re-establish service ASAP.

• Gloriana says:

Thank you for your posting. I appreciate everyone’s patience during this challenging time. We have re-established service and the dust is settling more and more everyday!
      I feel a little like George Bailey in it’s a wonderful life when everyone is making a run on the ole savings and loan. Please don’t move your mailboxes, let us have an opportunity to show you how this business should be run. I say this because it’s not the first distressed store we have taken on. Our Lakewood store has become a successful staple in the Lakewood Community. My business partners and I are well known and well respected in Normandy Park, we wouldn’t be here if we didn’t expect the kind of success we have come to know!

5. Mike says:

Gloriana,

What is the current status of the mailbox as of today? Do we have access to our mailbox?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

6. Mike from Redondo says:

I have to throw out a thank you and virtual hug to Gloriana and Gina. I am a Redondo store box holder and was as concerned as anyone when I found my box suddenly closed a week ago.

It’s been a tough week, but Gloriana and Gina have been there every day. They made mail disruption at Normandy Park last only one day. Redondo, is not re-opening, which is a great disappointment since its so convenient for me, but by the end of the week they had my mail flowing again up to the Normandy Park store.

I just have to say, they have been handling things wonderfully. On top of trying to get everything flowing again for 2 stores out of one, they are, I’m sure, fielding questions from frustrated and angry customers all day.

Thanks for taking over, thanks for handling things well, and thanks for keeping everyone in the loop as soon as new information arrived.

Many of you may not have been happy with the previous owner, don’t let that frustration spill over to Gloriana and Gina, they’ve been doing a great job trying to earn you continued business!

7. Wow… the last six months have literally flown by! As promised the time has come…. The remodel of your Normandy Park UPS Store takes place next week. First off, here are the details. We will be open for business as usual up until the close of business Thursday, September 4th. We will be operating in a limited capacity a couple doors down in the space between Lotus Coast and Healthy Nails, on Friday & Saturday, September 5th & 6th. (Mailbox customers: there will not be any 24 hour service beginning Wednesday Sept 3rd until Monday, September 8th).

I want to take a moment and say thank you to our incredible, patient and supportive customers! We are glad to be a part of this community – because of YOU ! Also a shout out to Dave, Stacie, Keagan and Colton and our crew at the Lakewood UPS Store- your dedication and hard work during this time has been a wonderful blessing… I want to make a special mention to my business partners… There was a moment you thought I was crazy on that fateful day in February, but you have been nothing but supportive and amazing all through out this adventure! Lastly, I would be remiss if I didn’t thank my husband and my children, especially Trevor… He has been a trooper with Mom working such crazy hours…

Lastly, beginning Monday September 8th, our hours will be:

Monday – Friday 8:30-6:30 and Saturdays from 9:00-5:00, closed on Sundays…

Please let me know if you have any questions…. 206-919-3041. Thank you, Gloriana