Volunteers are needed to help restore Walker Preserve on Saturday, April 19, from 9 a.m. – Noon
“No experience is required!” reads an announcement. “We will remove invasive plants to restore the forest near Walker Creek.”
At least eight people are needed to sign up by Thursday, April 17 in order to hold this event.
Check the Miller-Walker Volunteer Calendar for updates on Friday, April 18:
WHEN: Saturday, April 19, 2014, 9:00 a.m. – Noon
WHERE: Walker Preserve park, SW. 168th St. and 2nd Ave. SW. in Normandy Park, up the road from Normandy Park City Hall. If driving, your parking options include:
- Three spaces in the small park at SW 171st St. and Second Ave. S.W.
- On the street along 2nd Ave SW
From the black metal gate behind the Walker Preserve sign, walk down the trail towards the creek.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please plan ahead – this park does not have a restroom.
- Remove English ivy from trees and pull roots out of the ground. Find Himalayan blackberry plants, cut them back, and then dig out the roots.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Clothing that will protect you from the rain, cold, or heat, and thorny plants (long sleeves, rain gear, warm layers, rubber boots or other sturdy shoes)
- Filled water bottle (tools optional: pruners and a shovel are most useful)
- HOT STARBUCKS COFFEE & snacks
- Work gloves
- Training about how to remove invasive plants and compost them on site
- Call or email Elissa Ostergaard, [email protected]
gov , (206) 477-4792  (or Saturday only: (206) 707-6549 )
This volunteer event is an opportunity to visit a pleasant park in the City of Normandy Park, along Walker Creek . The City of Normandy Park and volunteers rebuilt the footbridge over the creek last year, and neighbors and other volunteers have made a lot of progress restoring the native plant community in this park. This work will help native plants thrive, and provide shade and food for the salmon that live in the creek. Please sign up if you can, or decide to show up at the last minute!
Check here for other volunteer opportunities  and the Miller-Walker Volunteer Calendar : http://www.kingcounty.gov/