The City of Normandy Park announced the dates, times, locations, and themes for its upcoming Parks PROS Planning public meetings, which begin Saturday, March 25:
It’s a gift to live in a lush green city. Many residents can walk to a park and enjoy a jog, a bike ride, a hike, hang out on a jungle gym, or catch a game of soccer in a matter of minutes. Identifying and assessing park and recreation needs is a priority for the Parks Commission, Metropolitan Parks District, City Council and City staff. In 2017, the City embarks on a Parks Recreation and Open Space Plan- shortened to the acronym PROS Plan.
The purpose of the PROS Plan process is to engage the public during a series of meetings held in the Normandy Park community. We are going to ask these questions and more: Where do you live and which park do you most use? What do you most like about Normandy Park? Which park programs do you use? What new programs would you like? What do we need in our parks? What’s your ideal park?
We have four stages of planning scheduled:
- Identify issues and concerns
- Explore various approaches
- Prepare preliminary recommendations
- Prepare final recommendations
The Parks Department is holding a series of open meetings that are workshop based, as well as a standing invitation to attend strategic meetings that will present concepts, listen to ideas, look forward to the future, and sometimes even dream!
- Workshop 1: Identify issues and concerns- March 25th @ City Hall Gym, noon-3pm. Parks Open House. Generate interest in the PROS Plan process, introduce the community to parks and programs available,“meet your parks,” seek input about the community’s values, needs, issues and wishes.
- Workshop 2: Explore various approaches- July 20th @ City Hall, 7pm. Parks Commission Meeting. Present a draft plan and collect comments from Parks Commissioners and community members.
- Workshop 3: Explore various approaches- August 8th @ City Hall, 7pm. City Council Meeting. Present an updated draft plan and collect comments from Councilmembers and community members.
- Workshop 4: Prepare preliminary recommendations- September 6th @City Hall, 7pm. Parks Open House. Present the draft plan and collect comments from community members.
- Workshop 5: Prepare preliminary recommendations- September 20th @City Hall, 7pm. Parks Commission Meeting. Present a draft plan that incorporates comments from the Parks Open House.
- Workshop 6: Prepare final recommendations- October 18th @City Hall, 7pm. Parks Commission Meeting. Present an almost final plan that incorporates comments from the Parks Commission Meeting.
- Workshop 7: Prepare final recommendations- November 14th @City Hall, 7pm. City Council Meeting. Present a final plan and collect comments from Councilmembers and community members.