Sponsored Post

DAL Law Firm: What is a Healthcare Directive?

From Advertiser DAL Law Firm:

What is a Healthcare Directive?

A healthcare directive, also known as a “living will,” provides instructions to your physicians to let them know what type of life sustaining treatment you may or may not want, and under what circumstances you do or don’t want them. This directive is a document that is used by your physician, and only if have a terminal condition, or are otherwise in a permanent unconscious state.

In your healthcare directive, you can also decide whether you would like artificially provided food and water to continue or be stopped in the event that you have a terminal condition.

The Washington State Department of Health has implemented a Physicians Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment (POLST) form for individuals to use so that they may summarize their wishes regarding any life sustaining treatment.
If one does not have the ability to communicate and make decisions for themselves, and do not have a healthcare directive or POLST form, under state law, the following people will be able to make such healthcare decisions for you, in this order:

  1. An appointed guardian;
  2. Your healthcare power of attorney;
  3. Your spouse or domestic partner;
  4. Your adult children;
  5. Your parents; or
  6. Your adult siblings.

If you or someone you know may have questions regarding a healthcare directive or living will, please contact our office at (206) 408-8158, or visit us online at www.dallawfirm.com. Our office is conveniently located in Normandy Park, and we offer free consultations.


Darcel Lobo

Contact us:

19803 1st Avenue S.
Suite 200
Normandy Park, WA 98148

T (206) 408-8158
(206) 374-2810
E [email protected]



[Would you like to have a Blogvertorial story, Ad and/or Event Listing like this on a popular, fast-growing website seen by over 51,000 interested Local Readers every month? Email us for more info, or check out our Advertise page!]

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!